Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It All Started With a BIG Jelly Fish!

Wow, what a fun week the Merricks have had!  I have a feeling we are going to have plenty more where this came from, so get ready to hear all about it!


Before moving to San Diego I joined a San Diego Mom Facebook page to see if I could get a few questions answered as I was packing.  Little did I know that I would end up making friends in San Diego before even setting foot in California.  We were excited to finally meet up with some of the Moms and their children, and this is what we found!  Yes, the kids were swimming with a big jelly fish, one of many sights the kids have never seen before.  Too bad this creature was tormented.  I was so proud of the girls for trying to protect it from these foreign kids who were throwing sand on it and stabbing it with a stick!  Rowan even tried to urge them to stop by using non verbals since there was a language barrier.  I won't tell you how the story ended for this big guy, but at the very least I think the Merricks know how to step in and handle the situation better if there is a next time.


 On a much lighter note, Rowan absolutely loved being buried up to her head in the sand.  It was a very long and very fun day.  The kids definitely had a blast and are looking forward to more meet ups.


The kids and I were so, so, sooooo excited when Aunt Brooke called to see if we could babysit Eva for the first time!  She had four babysitters ecstatic to be at Eva's beck and call!  Eva pretended with weebles, played dress up, was read to by both Rowan and Kierce, and Merrick only tried to play rough once!  Thankfully Eva is resilient and can totally hang with the gang.  She is definitely the Queen E in our presence, and I don't think that will ever change!  Just wait until she gets to party with the Trins too, then she'll be a queen and a rock star all at the same time!


On Saturday morning Ryan comes walking out in his swimsuit and says, "Well, since I don't have to mow the grass, I think I will go work on my tan."  Yes, we are all loving the lighter work load and having a pool and spa right out our front door.  Its so good to see him so relaxed and happy!


Later that day we were honored to have my brother Dana and sister-in-law Brooke throw us a welcome to San Diego party.  It was an amazing and memorable day with family and lots of friends.  Everyone we met was so nice and welcoming.  Even my new friend Sandra, whom I met online before moving here, showed up with her husband and son.  It was so great to finally meet her and her family face to face.    


Dana grilled the best zucchini EVER, brats and burgers.  But ultimately this gathering was not at all about the food, and was all about the fun and communion.  Thank you Brooke and Dana for hosting this amazing party and sharing all of these wonderful people with us.  You have done the BEST job of making us feel welcome and loved here in San Diego.  Though it is very difficult being so far away from a lot of family and friends, we are extremely lucky to have family here who is showering us with care.


While Rowan was off helping her Aunt Brooke with Eva at a shower on Sunday, we drove about 30 minutes north to attend a church that our pastor back home had recommended.  After church we drove to the ocean and got out to play for a while.  Kierce was thrilled with all of the rocks that we found at this beach.  She even thought that one of the rocks looked like a chocolate chip cookie!  Our Kierce has a great imagination!  We all thoroughly enjoyed the gorgeous view as we drove along the ocean, something I personally have been dreaming of for a while now.


By the time we made it all the way back to San Diego our hearts were happy, but our tummies were empty.  Ryan decided he would take us to try an In and Out burger, who are known for using fresh ingredients and cutting the french fries right on the spot!  I guess you never know what surprises are going to turn up, especially if your name is Merrick!  This clown even made him and Kierce a little toy dog to take home with them.  Oh, and I learned that Grandma Texas (Ryan's Grandma) was a Shrine clown!  I can't wait to see pictures!  Aunt Lynn, show me some proof ;) lol 


When Aunt Brooke dropped Rowan off, she had plenty of stories to tell and a cute hairdo to show off.  She had a great time helping Aunt Brooke with Eva, and of course now everyone wants a turn helping Aunt Brooke with Eva!! ;)  We had such an eventful week and to think, it all started with a jelly fish!  ...what's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment